We live in a world of short attention spans.In a world where attention is currency, it's becoming increasingly more difficult to attract the eyes and ears of your target market. According to a 2015 Microsoft Corp. study, the age of smartphones has left humans with such a short attention span that even a goldfish can hold a thought for longer... (uh-huh).
- The average attention span of a goldfish is 9 seconds
- The average attention span of a human is 8 seconds (2015)
- The average attention span of a human was 12 seconds (2000)
Marketing needs to stop you in your tracks.To work smarter and harder and very quickly, marketing needs to be entertaining, useful, and emotional. Marketing has two jobs:
- Get noticed
- Convince you that the product is worth purchasing
Say it quick, say it well. People don’t read, they scan. Plan accordingly.55% of visitors spend less than 15 seconds on a website. Think: sticky content. Think: attention span. Think: people don’t pay attention to boring. Think: interactions matter to customers who already appreciate your product and service quality.
- People want to know "what’s in it for me?"
- View your website with this question in mind.
- Streamline your message.
- Make it interesting. Be engaging.